In keeping with the legacy of Queen Effat of serving the community in ways that support the university vision of educating and mentoring leaders of tomorrow and enable them to pursue creative opportunities for a rewarding and successful life:
The mission of the chair is to prepare entrepreneurs to contribute to their own and others’ business success. The chair will endeavor to make sure that the next generation of entrepreneurs is amply equipped with leadership and business skills, knowledge of developments in the field and the ethical and moral foundation they need to succeed. The chair will actively engage and encourage entrepreneurship as the source and strategy for assisting in economic growth, community development and economically independent individuals. The chair will cultivate and inculcate entrepreneurial aspiration among in- and off-campus communities with the aim to produce entrepreneurial society capable of generating wealth and employment in the Kingdom
To become catalyst for economic growth, SME development and employment generation in the Kingdom by transforming into a leading institution for entrepreneurship capacity building, research and academic publishing, SME networking and consultancy in MENA region.
In order to achieve the objectives, generate economic activity in the region and increase the awareness of the entrepreneurship specific, measurable, achievable and timed goals have been set for the chair to accomplish in the first three years of its operation. These are based on the availability of funds and other resources. These include the following
- In the first three years after establishing the soft skills and business development incubator, assist at-least 20 potential entrepreneurs through training, coaching and mentoring to start their businesses. After that, every year 10 entrepreneurial trainings and incubations are estimated
- Identify at-least 60 potential businesses in the Kingdom in first year and thereafter 25 every year. Prepare and disseminate 20 pre-feasibility studies of feasible projects in the Kingdom and thereafter 25 every year
- In the first three years develop and concrete 04 links with the outside organizations, including educational institutions, Government and non-government organizations
- Prepare and conduct 1 workshops and seminars every year in the field of entrepreneurship
- Carry out and submit 3 scholarly contributions each year to well-known
- Organize first entrepreneurship conference every year
- Publish first entrepreneurship journal in the year
- Develop and groom 10 Effat student and alumni through involvement in research and training activities
- Participate in at-least 1 international entrepreneurship conference every year
- Assist the consulting clients developed by RCI.
- Develop resources and launch Entrepreneurship at Effat Portal
- Launch of first “Middle East Journal of Entrepreneurship, Leadership and Sustainable Development from Effat University.
- Launch of World Entrepreneurship Forum and Junior World Entrepreneurship Forum. A brief proposal outline is under preparation and would be submitted before March 01, 2014 Insha Allah to WEF
- Motivations and Values of Female Entrepreneurs of Saudi Arabia – Completed Survey - 80 female entrepreneurs have responded, literature review and Methodology.
- Brand Development Strategies of the Leading Saudi Fast Food Businesses in Comparison to International Chains. Completed Survey - 80 female entrepreneurs have responded, literature review and Methodology.
- Three cases on institutional stakeholders and 1 on strategic stakeholder for publishing as cases in a book.
- Book Chapter for “Startups and Startups Ecosystems, Theories, Models and Successful cases in the Mediterranean Area.
- Hanin, H and Rahatullah, M, K., Brand Association and Its link to Five Senses
- Hawazen, A, and Rahatullah, M, K., Student Perspective on Effectiveness of Student Support and Development Programs in Higher Educational Institution
- A Mobile phone app is under preparation for entrepreneurs to guide them from idea conception to launch of business.
- Mobile Phone app for the “Startups Business Terms Glossary”. Both in English and Arabic.
Reviews Performed and Journals
- World Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development (fall 2013)
- Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice (fall 2012)
- Member of International Advisory Board of JARE-NVC (Journal of Advanced Research on Entrepreneurship and New Venture Creation) from Fall 2013
The research has been major thrust of the chair and a number of research projects have been completed and numerous are in the pipeline. The chair has also successfully developed students and their research and published in international journals.
- Factors of success for hybrid relationship business development; (2006) Napier University Working paper January ISBN 978-1-873869-63-5
- Success of Franchise Business (2006); The 2nd Biennial Conference of the Academy of World Business and Management Development, Paris July 10-13 2006
- Developing a Model of Franchise Business Relationships (2008) Central Asia Business Journal – ISSN 1991-0002, Vol. 1, No. 1
- Towards Operational Excellence in Franchising (2008); SAM Advanced Management Journal, (Vol. 73, No. 3 - summer) ISSN 0749-7075
- The Dynamism of Partner Selection Criteria in Franchising (2009) SAM Advanced Management Journal, (Vol. 74, No. 4 – autumn 2009) ISSN 0749-7075
- Achieving Competitive Advantage in Hybrid Relationship Businesses (2009) Lambert Publishers – ISBN 978-3-8383-2202-5 2009
- Student Perspective on Technology in Class Rooms (2013) The second WEW Conference, Dubai Colleges of Technology 2013
- Rahatullah M, K., (2013) "Mapping entrepreneurship ecosystem of Saudi Arabia", World Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, Vol. 9 Iss: 1, pp.28 – 54; DOI (Permanent URL): 10.1108/20425961311315700
- Rahatullah, M. K., (2013); “CARE - Achieving operational success in Entrepreneurial Relationship Businesses” Macrotheme Review, Vol 2, Issue 3 – 2013. ISSN 1848-4735.
- Rahatullah, M. K., (2013); The Franchisee perception of achieving success in Entrepreneurial Businesses; Entrepreneurship Research Journal. Volume 3, Issue 4, Pages 505–525, ISSN (Online) 2157-5665, ISSN (Print) 2194-6175, DOI: 10.1515/erj-2013-0035, July 2013.
- Al Saud Abeer A and Rahatullah, M. K., (2013); Role of Social Media in Brand Development in Saudi Arabia, European Journal of Business and Economics, Vol. 8, issue 1, ISSN/EISSN: 18045839 18049699.
- Rahatullah, M, K., (2014) Triumphing Complex Entrepreneurial Business Associations through Partner Actions, The International Journal of Knowledge, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Vol. 2, issue 1 (under print)
- Rahatullah, M. K., (2014); Maternalistic Leadership Approach, Effectiveness Casein Higher Education. Ecch case center. Teaching Notes Reference no. 813-079-8, Case Reference no. 813-079-1; http://www.thecasecentre.org/educators/products/view? id=119479.
- Basmah, Al Qudaiby and Rahatullah, M, K., (2014) Financial Synergy in Mergers and Acquisitions. Evidence from Saudi Arabia; Aestimatio; The IEB International Journal of Finance, spring 2014 issue 9: 2-19
- AsSabban, N; AsSabban Y., and Rahatullah, M, K., (2014) Exploring Corporate Social Responsibility Practices in Saudi Family Owned Businesses, International Journal of Research Studies in Management; Vol. 3, Issue 2; Print ISSN: 2243-7770 Online ISSN: 2243-7789; DOI: 10.5861/ijrsm.2014.611
- Shaima B., and Rahatullah, M, K., (2014) Ranking the Saudi Arabian Banks on Size and Equity, Terengganu International Finance and Economics Journal; University of Terrengganu; Vol. 4, Issue 2 (Approved for September issue)
- Rahatullah, M. K., and Raeside, R., Role of Trust and Commitment for Successful Entrepreneurial Business Relationships (2014 June); 11th International Conference of Management and Behavioral Sciences “An Interdisciplinary Conference” (organized by SMBS- Canada) to be held at University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. June 2014