Urban Design Lab (UD Lab)
Effat Urban Laboratory is a cross-disciplinary center for critical and creative urban thinking, teaching, research and practice based at Effat College of Architecture and Design- Effat University, Jeddah. It is an initiative bringing together the best urban teaching, research, and lab activities at Effat build on the full spectrum of work across the Urban Design, Urban Planning and Urban Management.
UD Lab Research Interest
- Urban resiliency
- City planning
Urban Development and Regeneration
- Urban regeneration
- Risk management
Urban Heritage Conservation
- Green loss effect
- Climate change
UD Lab Research Lead
Dr. Tarek Ragab
- Dr. Mervat El-Shafie (ARCH Dept.)
- Dr. Kholoud Moumani (ARCH Dept.)
- Dr. Abdel-Moniem El-Shorbagy (ARCH Dept.)
- Dr. Aida Nayer (ARCH Dept.)
- Dr. Ahmed Refaat (ARCH Dept.)
- Dr. Alshimaa AlSayed (ARCH Dept.)
- Dr. Deborah Middleton (DESN Dept.)
UD Lab Vision
Effat-Urban Lab is a vibrant center and a corner-stone in supporting the Saudi government to meet cities' problems, producing internationally recognized quality urban research, effectively contributing to the career development of the Saudi urban professionals, and supporting the business and economic sectors of urban development and real estate of the Kingdom.
UD Lab Mission
Effat Urban Lab supports activities that are critical, creative, independent and interdisciplinary in relation to urban design and planning specialty. It shares the knowledge work produces widely, with diverse students, stakeholders, experts, and urban managers through research, training, education, and consultancy.
UD Lab Goal
Contribute to the urbanization of future cities and communities I KSA.
Objectives, Expected Impact, and Value to the Kingdom vision 2030
Effat urban lab work revolves around three major objectives:
- The production of individual, collaborative, funded and non-funded quality urban design and planning research through the provision of the state-of-the-art technical and human resources.
- Enabling Effat intensive engagement in community collaborations through training, specially-designed education programs and carrier development for concerned community members and institutions.
- Providing urban related consultations. Providing urban planning-design consultancies for individual, local and national institutions and bodies.