The English and Translation Department in Effat College of Humanities at Effat University offers an undergraduate program in English and Translation. The program provides the students with expertise in the main theories, concepts and tools of translation and interpreting studies, linguistics and literature.
This program fills a real need locally in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, regionally in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and globally. It graduates competent Arabic-English translators and interpreters, English teachers, ESL teachers, research candidates in linguistics, literature, and translation, as well as potential employees in various professions where proficiency in English is required. These qualified graduates will benefit local economy, reduce dependence on international recruitment, and empower women in the socio-economic structure of the country.
The Bachelor of science in English and Translation will equip you with the skills to critically evaluate and analyse texts, communicate effectively in English and Arabic, demonstrate cultural awareness and creatively apply technology in your area of specialization. You will be armed with analytical and evaluative insight, gathered from the combination of study within the areas of linguistics, translation, and literature which together provide you with sound knowledge and comprehension of the subjects the program covers.
In the early years of your academic journey at the Bachelor of Science in English & Translation, you will take courses from the General Education Program (GEP). which is an innovative program rooted in Liberal Arts Education. GEP promotes a vibrant environment for excellence in education, research and community engagement. It also accommodates the needs of 21st-century students by providing state-of-the-art courses in technology, natural, environmental, social, formal and quantitative sciences as well as research and community service.
The English and Translation Program at Effat University offers three areas of specialization: Linguistics, Literature and Translation.
The educational objectives of the Program are to:
- Provide students with the necessary knowledge for a career or a research program in the fields of Translation, Linguistics and Literature.
- Train students in the skills and techniques most needed in the job market.
- Train students on how to use relevant technology in their field of study.
- Provide students with the necessary theoretical tools to identify, analyze and solve problems encountered in their field.
- Develop the students' abilities to conduct research and studies in the field.
- Develop their cultural awareness and their ability to respect research and work ethics.
- Develop leadership skills, responsibility and independence
- Train students to communicate effectively in written and oral English